I have my eye on North Brother Island as a possible film locale right now for the next film being ramped up right now, here’s a few interesting facts…
- It’s completely cut-off from the public
- From around 1880 until 1960 the island was home to several hospitals which warranted the quarantining of its patients. Epidemic diseases, mental patients, drug addicts.
- A major nautical disaster occurred in the East River in 1904 when a ship of daytrippers burned. Over 1,000 of the 1,300 passengers on board were killed. Their bodies washed up on the shore of North Brother Island, as did the ship.
- "Typhoid Mary" spent her last years quarantined in a private cottage on North Brother Island.
- Since it’s abandonment over 45 years ago, the island and ruins are overgrown with vegetation/vines/ivy and it has become a sanctuary for rare birds.